How to Find the Best Travel Insurance
In this article we are going to show you how you should go about choosing the best travel insurance for you and your family.
by Danilo Pereira
Thinking about buying travel insurance? Here’s how you should go about it
Traveling is an exciting and enriching experience, but it also comes with an element of uncertainty. That’s why you should find the best travel insurance for this important moment.
Many things can go wrong during a trip. From flight cancellations and delays to lost or stolen luggage to unexpected illnesses or accidents.
These situations can ruin your vacation and result in significant financial losses. That’s where travel insurance comes in. It provides a safety net for unexpected financial risks.
While travel insurance may not be necessary for all trips, it can be a wise investment. Especially for longer vacations, for more expensive or riskier trips.
For example, if you’re planning a big international trip. Travel insurance can provide a sense of security and peace of mind.
Bank of America® Travel Rewards Card review
Read our comprehensive guide to help you explore the features and benefits that come with the Bank of America® Travel Rewards credit card.
It can also be a good idea to purchase travel insurance when you prepay for pricey reservations. A cruise or a tour package, for example.
In this guide, we will take a look at the most common travel insurance needs. We will determine what factors affect the cost, and present different travel insurance products.
By understanding the basics of travel insurance and how to choose the right policy, you can ensure that you’re protected against unexpected financial risks.
Read on to learn how to find the best travel insurance for you and enjoy your trip with peace of mind.
Travel Insurance: What does it cover, and what affects its cost?
Travel insurance offers protection when things go wrong on a trip. Different policies cover different needs. To ensure you get the coverage you need, consider the following:
- Travel medical plan covers medical expenses if you get sick or injured on a trip. Also, if you need emergency care not covered by your regular health insurance plan.
- Emergency evacuation and repatriation cover transportation to the nearest hospital. It also covers flying home if necessary when you’re injured or get sick on a trip.
- Trip cancellation, interruption, and delay cover reimbursement of nonrefundable reservations if you get sick. Also, if you have to cancel or end a trip early, as well as extra costs (e.g., lodging) due to a delay by the airline or other carrier.
- “Cancel for any reason” coverage covers reimbursement of nonrefundable reservations no matter why you cancel a trip.
- Baggage and personal belongings cover payment for lost, stolen, or damaged baggage.
- Car rental collision insurance covers payment for rental car damage.
- Accidental death coverage pays a lump sum to your beneficiary if you die in an accident while traveling.
When choosing a policy, consider factors that affect the cost, such as:
- Length and cost of the trip: The longer and more expensive the trip, the higher the policy cost.
- Cost of local health care: High health-care costs in your destination can drive up the price of trip insurance.
- Medical conditions you want to be covered: Conditions you already have will increase the cost of travel insurance coverage.
- Amount and breadth of coverage: The more risks a policy covers, the more it will cost.
- Your age: Generally the older you are, the higher the price.
- Optional supplement you add to your policy: Cancel For Any Reason, Interrupt For Any Reason and more.
You will be redirected to another website
Travel Insurance Types
When shopping for travel insurance, you’ll find a variety of options to choose from.
Many insurance companies and comparison sites allow you to customize a policy by selecting coverage options a la carte. Here are seven common types of coverage you’ll come across:
Travel medical insurance
These plans provide health insurance while you’re away from home. They often include limitations and exclusions for pre-existing conditions and usually don’t cover routine medical events like checkups.
If you’re planning on engaging in adventure sports or participating in competitive events, you may need to purchase a special policy.
Trip cancellation, interruption and delay
This coverage reimburses you for prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel or interrupt your trip for a covered reason such as illness or natural disaster.
Baggage and personal belongings
Lost luggage coverage reimburses you for lost, stolen, or damaged personal items during your trip. Some plans also provide coverage for baggage delay.
Emergency medical assistance, evacuation, and repatriation
This coverage pays for medical expenses, transportation to the nearest hospital, and flying you back to your home country in the event of illness or injury.
Many package plans include a hotline that you can call for help with issues such as missed flights and lost luggage.
Accidental death and dismemberment insurance
This coverage pays a lump sum to your beneficiary if you die in an accident during your trip.
Rental car coverage
This coverage pays for repairs to a rental car if it’s damaged in an accident or by natural disaster.
It doesn’t cover liability insurance, which pays for damage to other vehicles or medical treatment of others if you cause an accident.
Be sure to review your current insurance policies to make sure you’re not overpaying.
Ways For Getting Travel Insurance
When planning a trip, it’s important to consider getting travel insurance to protect yourself from unexpected events.
Before deciding on what level of coverage you need, check to see what you already get with your credit card.
Many credit cards offer trip cancellation and interruption coverage when you book a trip with them. If you’re looking for more comprehensive coverage, it makes sense to purchase a general trip insurance policy.
Here are four ways to obtain travel insurance, along with the pros and cons of each option:
- Credit cards: Some credit cards offer trip cancellation and rental car insurance if you use the card to book the trip or car. Pros: Coverage is free. Cons: You can’t customize the insurance to meet your needs.
- Travel agents and travel reservation sites: You can buy travel insurance when you book your flight, hotel, and car rental. Pros: Buying is as quick and easy as clicking “yes” when you book reservations. Coverage is inexpensive. Cons: You can’t customize the coverage.
- Travel insurance companies: You can purchase travel insurance directly from an insurance provider. Pros: You can choose a policy that fits your needs. Many travel insurer websites also offer information to help you understand the coverage. Cons: You’ll need to go to multiple websites to compare coverage and pricing.
- Travel insurance comparison sites: You can compare different policies and review quotes at once based on the trip search criteria you’ve input into the search form. Pros: You can choose a policy that fits your needs and compare policies and pricing in one place. Cons: Comparing multiple policies takes time.
The Bottom Line
To ensure peace of mind on your next adventure, take time to understand your travel insurance options. Choose a policy that fits your trip needs, budget and desired benefits. Don’t let unpredictability ruin your journey.
And to lt your travel even better, check out some travel credit cards with cash back. We’ve made a list of the best ones to help you choose.
Best cashback cards for travel
No long lists and unnecessary information. We are tired of convolute decision-making, and so are you! Here we will present you with the very best cashback credit cards.
About the author / Danilo Pereira
Discover it® Cash Back review
Read our Discover it® Cash Back Card review to learn everything about this credit card and just how much you can earn every day.Keep Reading
How to get your Standard Bank World Citizen Credit Card: online application
In this Standard Bank World Citizen Credit Card application guide, we will show how you can get this card that gives you tons of benefits.Keep Reading
Woolworths Gold credit card review: Get cash back, discounts, and more
In this Woolworths Gold credit card review you will learn about this card's exclusive perks and its cash back rewards.Keep Reading
You may also like
Upstart Personal Loans review: get a loan easily
With Upstart Personal Loans, you can apply in minutes and get approved really fast. Learn more at this Upstart Personal Loans review.Keep Reading
Discover it® Student Cash Back credit card review
If you love cash back, you'll love this card. Read this Discover it® Student Cash Back credit card review to see how it works.Keep Reading
Fortiva® Card application
Learn how to easily apply for a Fortiva® Card with our easy guide and get started on rebuilding your credit right away!Keep Reading