Citi Premier® Card or Citi® Double Cash Card: choose the best one!
Unsure if the Citi Premier® Card or the Citi® Double Cash Card is right for you? Check out this overview of each card's features and benefits to see which one comes out on top!
Citi Premier® Card vs. Citi® Double Cash Card: compare their features
If you’re looking for a new rewards credit card, you might be wondering if the Citi Premier® Card or Citi® Double Cash Card is worth your time. In this article, we’ll compare the two cards so you can see which alternative fits your lifestyle better.
While both Citi cards have a generous rewards program, there are some key differences between them that could impact your choice.
Check their main features below and keep reading to learn whether you should apply for a Citi Premier® Card or Citi® Double Cash Card.
Citi Premier® Card: features, pros, and cons
The Citi Premier® Card is a solid credit card for anyone looking to earn points on their everyday spending.
With this card, you’ll get 3 points per dollar spent on travel, dining, gas stations and supermarkets. You’ll also earn 1 point per dollar spent on everything else you purchase.
Plus, there’s no limit to the amount of points you can earn, and your points won’t expire as long as you have an active account.
The points are easily redeemable and you can use them for statement credits, travel expenses, gift cards, and more.
If you want, you can also transfer your points to one of Citi’s airline or hotel partners. And if that’s not enough, you’ll also get a $100 annual travel credit to use towards any travel purchase charged to your card.
All new cardholders can get 80,000 ThankYou points after spending at least $4,000 within the first three months of card membership.
You can easily redeem those points via the ThankYou website, and they are worth over $800 in gift cards.
The card charges an annual fee of $95, and there’s no 0% introductory APR period, with its interest rates varying between 18.24% – 26.24%.
Those issues should not become a problem if you manage to pay your bill in full each month and take proper advantage of this card’s rewards system.
You will be redirected to another website
- You’ll get a generous welcome bonus after meeting the eligibility requirements;
- You’ll get great rewards rates on things you purchase every day;
- Since the card doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee, you can take it with you on your travels or make international purchases.
- Unlike many similar credit cards, the Citi Premier® Card does not have an introductory APR period. Therefore, it’s best to avoid carrying a balance from month to month;
- The card is not available for anyone with a score lower than 700. Since Citi performs a hard pull on your credit history, it’s important to make sure you meet the bank’s eligibility requirements before you hit the “apply” button.
Citi® Double Cash Card: features, pros and cons
If what you’re looking for is an easy rewards structure, the Citi® Double Cash Card has what it takes.
The cash back system is simple: you’ll earn 1% when you make a purchase, and an additional 1% as you pay off your credit card bill each month.
There’s no limit to the amount of cash back you can earn, and you can redeem your rewards for cash or statement credits at any time.
Plus, there’s no annual fee, so this card is a great way to earn cash back without having to pay any extra fees.
You’ll also get a 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 18 months on balance transfers, and a competitive APR that varies between 16.24% and 26.24% after that.
There’s a great $200 cash back welcome bonus for new cardholders who meet the bank’s requirements to earn the reward.
With Citi Entertainment®, you’ll have access to purchase tickets to all sorts of special events. That includes presales and exclusive perks to dining experiences, concerts and more.
- Forget about forking up any money on annual fees with this card;
- Take advantage of the Citi® Double Cash’s 0% introductory APR for 18 months on balance transfers to pay down your credit card debt;
- Cash back with no frills and no rotating categories – you buy, you earn;
- The welcome bonus is easily obtainable and quite generous;
- The Citi® Double Cash offers fraud protection and ID theft protection.
- You’ll need a credit score between good and excellent for approval;
- Unlike many cards from the same category, you’ll have to pay a 3% foreign transaction fee. That said, taking it abroad or purchasing items at international stores will cost you extra;
- There’s a 3% balance transfer fee for each transaction you make, even during the 0% APR period.
Citi Premier® Card or Citi® Double Cash Card: which should you choose?
Citi offers two great cash back credit cards: the Citi Premier® Card and the Citi® Double Cash Card. Both cards offer excellent rewards and benefits, so deciding which one is right for you can be tough.
If you travel frequently or spend a lot on dining and entertainment, the Citi Premier® Card is a great option.
If you prefer a simpler rewards structure, or if you don’t think you’ll take advantage of the extra perks offered by the Citi Premier®, then the Citi® Double Cash Card is probably a better choice for you.
The bottom line is, whichever card you choose, you’ll be earning cash back on all your purchases. Ultimately, the best choice for you depends on your spending habits and how you manage your credit card balance.
And if you’re looking for a third option, check out the Discover it® Cash Back review in the link below. This card comes with a great rewards rate on rotating categories and doesn’t charge an annual fee.
Check its features, pros and cons and see how it stacks up against the Citi Premier® Card or Citi® Double Cash Card before making a final decision.
About the author / Aline Barbosa
Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards review
Read our Bank of America® Unlimited Cash Rewards review to learn if the features and benefits of this card are what you’re looking for.Keep Reading
Regional Finance Personal Loans application guide
In this Regional Finance Personal Loans application guide you will learn how to easily get this loan in just a few minutes.Keep Reading
You may also like
IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card review
See if the IHG® Rewards Traveler Credit Card is right for you with this comprehensive review. Learn about rewards, features and more!Keep Reading
In this Curadebt review, we’ll take a closer look at a company that can help you find a smart and easy solution to assist you on your debt.Keep Reading